When I promised in my post over a month ago that I have resumed from my blogging hiatus, I had no idea I was going to get food poisoning.
I was travelling to Toronto and the Bahamas last month, and during the last 2 days I was in Bahamas I experienced all symptoms of food poisoning ~ Fever, nausea, vomit, diarrhea, abdominal pain, weakness. What did I eat? Who knows, my entire trip was non-stop eating. It could have been the seafood, contaminated food, uncooked food, or maybe even the tap water.
My mom and brother-in-law was hit as well, but we still don’t know what the source was.
Food poisoning is caused by the consumption of food contaminated by bacteria or other toxins. Though most cases of food poisoning is mild, there are cases where it can be fatal. So it is important that we are careful with the food we eat and how we prepare it.
I’ve had food poisoning before, but this was the worst I’ve ever experienced. It really messed up my stomach after all the symptoms subsided and it took me a very long time to fully recover my appetite . It wasn’t until last week that I was back to my usual self.
After the ordeal, I decided to share some of the knowledge I gained about food poisoning. Symptoms of food poisoning include:
- abdominal pain
- mild fever
Tried and tested remedies of food poisoning (by me):
- H2O. Even if you can’t stomach it, try to sip as much water as you can. You will be dehydrated, so water intake is important. Sports drinks such as Gatorade is also good to have replenish electrolytes.
- Stop eating for a period of time to let your stomach settle.
- Ease back into eating with small quantities of easy-to-digest and non-greasy food such as soda crackers, congee, toast.
- Stay away from fatty foods, caffeine and dairy. (Mike, burgers and coffee aren’t a good idea!)
- Resting is important as you would be tired and dehydrated.
Food poisoning usually resolves on its own, but If symptoms persists for more than 3 days or if get worse, you should consult a doctor.
Most important of all, Safe Eating you all!